OPEN FOR SUBMISSION
- Switchback is an online publication of the MFA in Writing Program at the University of San Francisco. We have recently changed our publication schedule from producing two issues a year to releasing new material throughout all twelve months.
- We only consider previously unpublished works. No exceptions. Thank you.
- We do not accept submissions via email or postal service. You can submit your work to us through Submittable. If you run into any technical difficulties in uploading your submission, please contact us at email@example.com
- We do accept simultaneous submissions. However, we ask that you notify us as soon as possible if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- If you’re submitting prose, please limit your submission to one story or essay at a time. Stories and essays should be no more than 4,500 words, but we prefer pieces closer to 3,500 words. We won't consider any prose pieces over 4,500 words.
- If you’re submitting poetry, please submit to us no more than three poems. The best things come in threes: Olympic medals, wishes, Cerberus heads.
- Before submitting, please read some of our back issues to familiarize yourself with the content we choose to publish. It's all readily available on our website completely free.
We welcome stories of all genres and subject matter. We want your best work—stories that you’ve devoted a lot of time and care to. We appreciate precision, attention to craft, and language that surprises us.
Please submit only one piece of fiction at a time. We do not accept work previously published online or in print. We prefer stories under 3,000 words, but we will read stories up to 4,000 words. Simultaneous submissions are encouraged, but please let us know immediately if your work was accepted elsewhere.
We want your best work, your most original work, your strangest work. We love it when you take risks. Send us your sick, your dying . . . leave some soul and blood and maybe a little love on the (digital) page.
Please submit up to three poems at a time. We do not accept work previously published online or in print. Simultaneous submissions are encouraged, but please let us know immediately if your work was accepted elsewhere.
Please submit completed nonfiction essays on any topic. We'll read any true story up to 4,000 words long.