SUBMISSIONS FOR ALL GENRES ARE NOW OPEN!!
- Switchback is an online publication of the MFA in Writing Program at the University of San Francisco. We have recently changed our publication schedule from producing two issues a year to releasing new material throughout all twelve months. Submissions will remain open!
- We only consider previously unpublished works. No exceptions. Thank you.
- We do not accept submissions via email or postal service. You can submit your work to us through Submittable. If you run into any technical difficulties in uploading your submission, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We do accept simultaneous submissions; however, we ask that you notify us as soon as possible if your work is accepted elsewhere. If you’re exclusively submitting work to us, we appreciate the thought.
- If you’re submitting prose, please limit your submission to one story or essay at a time. And make sure your work clocks in at or under 7500 words. We won't consider any prose pieces over 7500 words. Period. Sorry, but dem's the breaks.
- If you’re submitting poetry, please submit to us no more than three poems. We like things in threes: Olympic medals, wishes, Cerberus heads, jazz ensembles. We don’t like things in fours, except when it comes to lists of things in threes.
- Before submitting, please read some of our back issues to familiarize yourself with the content we choose to publish. It's all readily available on our Web site (completely free and immediate), so there's really no reason not to.
Please submit completed nonfiction essays on any topic. We'll read any true story.